A Boomer Girl Perspective: Finding the Right Path to Mental Fitness





It broke my heart when I learned my mom had Alzheimer's, but her diagnosis forced me to contemplate my own mental fitness. It was the mid-90s and Alzheimer's research was limited. I read what was available and found out I was already doing some of the right things. Still I realized it was more important than ever to follow a healthier path.

Brain problems in the family tree
My mom had already bounced back from a brain tumor in her forties and a stroke in her fifties. Schizophrenia and depression were also hiding out in my family tree, but I felt confident those disorders had passed me by. 

Alzheimer's was something else altogether. It destroyed the brain and it was incurable. Researchers decided it was hereditary as well. It was possible that the same dementia whittling away at my mother's memories could be genetically inevitable for my siblings and me.


A healthy brain by choice and by accident
I learned how lifestyle choices could shift the mental health odds in my favor. I looked for information in books, magazines, and my own lifelong habits, and I stumbled upon some ideas by accident.

Eating fruits and veggies show your brain how much you love it

A diet that loves my brain
My father's large vegetable garden and the fruit trees in our yard started my lifelong love of foods that are key to brain health. Here are some other good habits I picked up along the way. 
  • I eat soy products regularly.
  • I cook with Olive or canola oil.
  • I eat more fruits,  veggies and brown rice than meat.
  • I buy whole grain bread or bake it myself.
  • I started taking Omega 3 supplements in the late 80s.
  • I never smoked.
  • I drink alcohol only occasionally.
De-stressing myself
In the 80s, I learned creative visualization, Quiet Response and deep breathing techniques at a mandatory corporate management stress reduction workshop. Eventually, I left corporate stress behind to follow creative pursuits. I'm certain my brain benefited from the laid back life and reduced stress levels.

Psychology Today's article, "Creativity and successful brain aging: Going with the flow" supports my career change as a good mental fitness move. Apparently scholars found, "Creativity and flexible attitudes can promote healthy brain aging." Yay!!

Mental and physical exercise doesn't have to be boring
Mental and physical exercise
I quit my corporate job at 40. As I grew older, working at home allowed more time for family interaction, creative activities, exercise and new learning experiences that were important to mental health.
  • I learned to use a blowtorch, a jeweler's saw, and a kiln.
  • I played Scrabble, Tri-bond, Taboo and other mind games with my siblings.
  • I volunteered and taught classes at an inner city ministry.
  • I read Russian literature and my daughter's Slavic reference books.
  • Walking became my primary mode of transportation and exercise.
  • I travel when I can.
  • I stay active with my three grandchildren.

I've felt my brain changing
If I pay attention while I'm trying to master some new skill set, I can feel a knot in my stomach and a bit of discomfort in my head. I've decided the sensation is my brain striving to make new connections. 

Even if that's not a scientific fact, I've remained energetic, alert and active. I've made it through the dangerous 30 to 60 year age range of "early onset" Alzheimer's like mom had. That's a plus.

Information at my fingertips
I've learned a few things from watching Dr. Daniel Amen's PBS documentary series. "A Magnificent Mind at any Age" taught me that it's never too late to change your brain. I've also found information in books and on these and other websites.
But wait, there's more! 
Infomercials market anti-aging products to Boomers because it's profitable. I take supplements, but most of the changes I've made involved learning and staying active. I've never felt compelled to buy every new anti-aging product that came along and neither should you.

Copyright C. Rucker Based on an original article previously published on Yahoo Voices 

Comments

Popular Posts